Under the title "Good Working Conditions in Science - Towards a Reform of the Act on Temporary Scientific Contracts", on June 27, 2022, the BMBF wants to take a closer look at the results of the evaluation and discuss the further development of the Act on Temporary Scientific Contracts with various actors in science.
Diverse requirements, interests and needs are in tension: How can more reliable perspectives and more predictability of the career, especially in the postdoc phase, be created? What about alternative career paths beyond the professorship? How can we ensure that the next generation has the opportunity to gain scientific qualifications? How can the best minds from Germany and abroad be attracted to science and retained? How can the efficiency of the science system and the ability of universities and research institutions to act be maintained and strengthened? What contribution can the Wissenschaftszeitvertragsgesetz (German Act on Temporary Scientific Contracts) make as a law on fixed-term contracts in science?
We would like to discuss these and other questions with representatives of the employees, the universities and research organizations, the federal states, the trade unions as well as with the evaluators of the law.
The event will be live streamed on their website. Further information on registration will follow shortly.
- 11:00 a.m.: Welcome, Dr. Jan-Martin Wiarda, education and science journalist
- 11:10-11:30 a.m.: Opening, Bettina Stark-Watzinger, Federal Minister of Education and Research
- 11:30-11:50 a.m.: Presentation of the evaluation of the Science Temporary Contracts Act
- 11:50-12:45: Discussion panel: Working in science - balancing act between flexibility and security
- 13:30-14:30: Discussion panel: What will the working conditions in science of tomorrow look like?
- 14:30-15:30: Discussion panel: Is there a need for reform of the WissZeitVG?
- 3:30 p.m.: Closing