Teach me and I listen, tell me and I remember, involve me and I learn“ – The Helmholtz Research School “Lung Biology and Disease”
Lung diseases are among the leading causes of death worldwide, and the trend is increasing. The cause is largely unknown; however, changes in lifestyle and pollutants are contributing factors. The thematic track “Lung Biology and Disease“ in HELENA is offered by the Comprehensive Pneumology Center (CPC), a translational center for lung research. Graduate students who like to complete their doctorate in the field of chronic lung research can go through a structured and specialized degree program here.
The scientific focus at the interface of basic and translational research is as follows:
- At the CPC the molecular mechanisms that play a role in the pathogenesis and course of chronic lung diseases are elucidated.
- Important methods of molecular and cell biology, pharmacology, chemistry and clinical medicine are integrated into the research in order to develop diagnostic or therapeutic approaches for chronic lung diseases.
- The CPC develops innovative application approaches to optimized therapy in chronic lung diseases.
The interdisciplinary and focused scientific structure of the research school “Lung Biology and Disease“ offers doctoral training of the highest quality and optimally prepares students for a successful career in medical, academic and industrial fields.
In line with the adage of Benjamin Franklin, “Teach me and I listen, tell me and I remember, involve me and I learn“, which the research school has chosen as its motto, the doctoral students will be included in planning and organization at all levels of their training. They can help shape framework conditions in the research school directly.
Dr. Antje Brand
Helmholtz Zentrum München
Institut für Lungenbiologie
Comprehensive Pneumology Center
- Institute of Lung Biology and Disease (iLBD) and Comprehensive Pneumology Center (CPC)
- Institute of Allergy Research (IAF)
- Institute of Environmental Medicine (IEM)
- Research Unit Lung Repair and Regeneration (LRR)
The Helmholtz Research School Lung Biology and Disease is part of the thematic field.