Logo Helmholtz Zentrum München

Important information:

How does the Thesis Committee work?

Over the next three years, your doctoral project will be supervised by a personal Thesis Committee consisting of your direct adviser, the adviser at the University and an external adviser. The Thesis Committee provides mentoring and guidance in the scientific project but also in questions concerning the personal career development. Annual meetings have to take place after 9 months, 1.5 and 2.5 years. As a graduate student, you are responsible to schedule and document these meetings. The written documentation has to be sent to the Graduate Student Office. Please send us the names of your Thesis Committee members within the first six months of your doctoral project. Please also submit the consent form for advisors to the GSO.

What should I do if my working contract ends and I am not finished with my doctoral thesis?

An extension of your initial 3-year contract is possible. For the extension, you have to develop a work and time plan to finish your doctoral thesis together with your thesis committee at your third meeting. Every member of the thesis committee has to agree to this plan by signature, and the documents have to be sent to the Graduate Student Office.

In case of a necessary extension of your contract please do ensure that all the necessary documents (TC form signed by all thesis committee members, progress report, work and time plan) are at the Graduate Student’s Office two months prior to expiration of your contract.

If due to unforeseen reasons in exceptional cases an extension is decided on short notice, all necessary documents have to be at the Graduate Student’s Office no later than two weeks prior to expiration of your contract. Otherwise an extension of the doctoral contract in time is not possible.

Whom should I contact if I have questions about my working contract?

If you have any question regarding your contract, salary, maternity leave etc. please contact the human resources manager who is responsible for your Institute/Research Unit.

Questions? Ask HELENA!